Monday 26 February 2018

Not that Beastly

As Britain waits with a sense of almost cowering trepidation for the arrival of the much heralded Beast from the East I wrapped up good and warm before venturing out. While it remains to be seen whether this beast will be the traditional roaring Lion of March or the meowing of an overhyped kitty it certainly was a little on the chilly side with temperature ranging from bracing to brass monkeys. As I waited for my bus in Corby little flakes of snow were swirling and twisting in eddies of breeze but it was sunny by the time I reached Oundle.
Cold but lovely.


Once I'd got there I walked down South Road where I checked for the Hawfinches that were seen several times here last week. No luck with the finches so I set out for Ashton Mill to look for Otters. Unfortunately a beast of an altogether less formidable sort was affecting conditions here, a yappy little dog which had put a large flock of Teals and also any hope of my seeing Otters to flight. Its owner apologised for the disturbance, well intentioned no doubt but it did not bring any Otters back. A Redpoll was the sole highlight here and its calls were the only bird sound, the cold weather has silenced all but the most determined singers.
Sinensis Cormorant and drake Mandarin.


Just the usual selection of birds on offer along the river though at least there was no goose hunting going on so there was no more disturbance. Quite a few Lapwings on the move but they always get a little restless when cold weather is on the way. Plenty of thrushes too, mainly Fieldfares but a few Redwings showed with them. A sinensis race Cormorant was nice to see well while an Egyptian Goose was perched on a roof near the marina, not a bad garden tick.
A trio of thrushes.


Barnwell CP had plenty of common bird activity though it looked as if the feeders had not been filled, perhaps our glorious county council can't afford the seed. Hopefully this situation will change before the really cold snap kicks in. A pair of Mandarins showed very well here and were the first since the new year. Not much else to report though a Siskin was in full song and several Nuthatches were seen.
a few Barnwell birds.


By the time I'd got to the pub a snow shower was starting and I was grateful to be inside looking out rather than vice versa as I watched some very cold looking folks shuffling past.
This Robin visited me in the hide.


No comments:

Post a Comment