Monday 9 July 2018

Silver-washed Frits do the Biz.

After a weekend away I was eager to get out again with the bins and camera again and went for a walk around the Harry's Park Wood complex. Although it was a little cooler than yesterday it still more than warm enough and the butterflies were active right from the get go. Feeling just a little on the lazy side I took the X4 bus as far as Weldon before walking to Bear's Lane.

Small Whites and Small Tortoiseshells seem to be having a good summer.

Along the lane there were rather a lot of Small Whites, I think that they're having a good year. Ringlets were also present in smaller numbers and there were ones and twos of the commoner species as well. A Brown Hare was feeding on the little airstrip and was one of the few non insect highlights. Taking the footpath through the fields I found many Gatekeepers and Small Tortoiseshells feeding on bramble flowers, they were joined by skippers and Meadow Browns. One that got away (for the moment at least) was a female Silver-washed Frit who zipped away before I could even turn my camera on. The local Red Kites were very vocal this morning and I think the young must be beginning to leave their nests judging by the numbers present.

Ringlet, Gatekeeper, Peacock and Large White.

On the edge of the wood there were several Marbled Whites while numbers of Large Whites increased as it got warmer. Making up for the earlier one a male Silver-washed Fritillary showed very well, it turned out to be a good day for them and I was to see over twenty today. Still on the fringes of the wood in the area known as Old Dry Bushes I had a brief view of the day's only White Admiral and the first of two male Brimstones. On entering the wood I found my first Purple Hairstreaks of the year, there were to be several more during the remainder of the morning. Four Purple Emperors were seen as I made my way through the wood, two males and two females but none wanted to settle. Rather more accommodating was a Red Admiral which posed nicely.

Male and female Silver-washed Fritillary.

With the day getting warmer I decided to head for the George where the promise of a cold pint was too promising to ignore but I was happy with my total of nineteen species. Several dragonflies had been noted hunting the rides with Emperor, Brown and Southern Hawker being seen. The stream at Weldon had a few Banded Demoiselles near the pocket park.

Purple Hairstreak and Brimstone.

No comments:

Post a Comment