Thursday 26 July 2018

Showertime at Weldon.

During my after work walk around Weldon this afternoon I had my first dose of proper rain for what feels like months. I'm not talking the very light is it or isn't it? style of drizzle from Sunday either. No this was bona fide splotchy big drops that would have given me a darn good drenching had it not been for a full canopied tree providing decent shelter. Sadly it passed all too quickly but at least there is a promise that we may get some more tomorrow.

Ruddy Darter and Banded Demoiselle.

Before and after this moist interlude I had been looking out for any damsels and dragons that might be about on this the hottest day of the year so far. Banded Demoiselles remain common along the stream, in fact I think that they may be more numerous now than at any previous time this year. A solitary male White-legged Damselfly showed rather well and so too did a male Ruddy.

White-legged Damselfly and Emperor.

Around the pond a good number of Small Red-eyed and Red-eyed Damselflies were recorded and Common Blue Damsels nearly matched their number. A few Blue-taileds completed the damsel list though not quite the story. A little flicker of movement drew my attention to a Common Blue trapped in a spiders web sharing the fate of a Red-eyed caught in the same web. I didn't attempt to free it as it was out of reach and of course spiders have to eat too.

The cycle of life.

Commonest dragon today was the Emperor with several patrolling males  and an ovipositing female on site. Three Brown Hawkers were also seen and there was another Ruddy Darter.

Blue-tailed Damselfly and Ringlet.

There were not too many butterflies but at least they included a county year tick among their number, a Small Copper that moved just a tad too fast for my camera. A few Common Blues appeared to be looking for moisture at the pond's edge and were joined by the smallest Brown Argus that I've ever seen, it was about the size of a five pence piece. Other species included a few Gatekeepers and a Ringlet as well as Small and Green-veined Whites while there was a Holly Blue in Corby Village.

No comments:

Post a Comment