Wednesday 6 June 2018

Back in Glap.

When the opportunity to grab a half day's holiday came up at work I grabbed it with both hands and used my new found freedom to go nature spotting, first at Oundle and then at Glapthorn Cow Pasture. As the clouds began to break up more and more insects became active and I enjoyed a good session.

Scarce Chasers.

On the stretch of the Nene closest to the marina there was a lot of Scarce Chaser activity with yet more at the nearby Princess fishing lake. One pair that appeared to be in cop actually looked as if it was two males which I assume was probably down to a case of mistaken identity. Most of the Scarce Chasers were males though I did find half a dozen or so of the strikingly coloured females. A few of both Four-spotted Chaser and Hairy Dragonfly were noted but all had to give ground (or perhaps that should be air) to a couple of Emperors. One of the latter was an ovipositing female that had a male standing sentry over her as she went about her business. Another dragon and my first in the county this year was a Black-tailed Skimmer near to the fishing lake.

Emperor and Black-tailed Skimmer.

There was also a great deal of damselfly activity with Red-eyeds being particularly obvious, they were only outnumbered by the lovely metallic hordes of Banded Demoiselles. Other species seen were Common Blue Damsels, a few Azures and plenty of Blue-tailed.

Red-eyed Damselflies and Common Blue.

Barnwell CP had a similar selection of species on offer including another Black-tailed Skimmer while plenty of Scarce Chasers belied their name around the lakes of the park. It was not a great day for butterflies (with one notable exception) though Green-veined White and Speckled Wood were found here. Few birds of note though a drake Mandarin and several Common Terns and Sand Martins were seen.

Mandarin and Speckled Wood.

A short hop on the X4 after a pint or two of Pedigree and a mile or so of strolling took me to Glapthorn Cow Pasture for my annual pilgrimage to admire the Black Hairstreaks. They put on a good show for me and another fan with at least half a dozen feeding on their favourite brambles while others flitted around the blackthorn bushes. Having taken a great deal of pictures I set of to catch my return bus noting a Hairy Dragonfly before I left.

A couple of views of Black Hairstreaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment