Monday 22 January 2018

Further Tales From the Riverbank

Oundle again this morning where after the usual short bus trip I set off for a walk along the Nene. With all of yesterday's snow having melted overnight it should have come as no surprise to see lots of floodwater from the north bridge but it was still a bit of a shock to see my regular path was now underwater. As my normal route was cut off I headed back through the town and found a way to get back to the river near Ashton Mill.
Plenty of water on view from the North Bridge.

Ashton Mill had a good selection of the commoner species which included Marsh Tits and a Cetti's Warbler which was heard singing. A little beyond the lock I looked across another flooded part finding only Mallards and Teals and no other birds. Any disappointment was soon forgotten when I picked out an Otter swimming across and although only its head could be seen in between dives it was still much appreciated. I managed a fairly awful picture of it before it disappeared but then can any picture with an Otter in it be truly dreadful? I'll let you make your mind up.
Floodwater near Ashton Mill held this Otter.

By now the sun was making a rare appearance and I had a very pleasant stroll albeit one where I was gratefulful for my wellies. Pied Wagtails, Meadow Pipits and numerous corvids were drawn to the flooded fields and a large flock of a hundred or more Greylags were noted. My best birding moment came when four Ravens, presumably two territorial pairs judging from all the noise and squabbling, flew over. They still seem to be quite rare in the Oundle area, leastways I seldom see them here. Raptors were well represented by kites and Kestrels while a rippling trill of alarms revealed a Sparrowhawk passing by.
Bath time for swans.

The flooded area from last year held a large flock of Lapwings and some Wigeons, as it dries out a little I'm hoping to see more waders. My way was once more cut off by further flooding so I had to miss out on the marina reaching Barnwell CP by way of a detour through the town. In truth there was not much to report from the park and so after a quick circuit I headed towards the town and the bus home.
A couple of the regulars.

No comments:

Post a Comment