Monday 15 January 2018

Bits and Pieces

Things took a turn for the wet today, I wanted a change in the weather though in retrospect I should have been happy with grey but dry conditions, you just can't please some folks! A Red Kite and a Buzzard made a shopping trip more interesting than usual. they may be regulars now but I still like seeing them. After this a trip to the health centre gave me the chance to walk around the boating lake where I connected with not one but two drake Pochards. With the light conditions (slightly) better than yesterday morning I took a couple of photos. Hopefully this means that Pochards are becoming more frequent visitors again, they make a nice change from Greylags and Coots.

These drake Pochards don't realise how interesting they are!

In the afternoon I took a stroll down to Weldon but my timing was terrible and as a result I got a soaking from several heavy showers. An immature Mute Swan was the only bird on the Woodland Park pond though Siskins were present in the alders. Plenty of Mallards on the A43 pond and a pair of Gadwalls breaking their monopoly. As I was in the area I took a walk around the nearby industrial estate just on the off chance that the Waxwing photographed here last week was hanging around. It wasn't but the effort wasn't totally wasted as a Sparrowhawk  was my first of the year. She nearly took my hat off as she glided down a path silencing a flock of ten or more Goldcrest that I'd been watching. Several more Siskins were noted as they flew overhead but there was nothing else to report.
Boating lake regulars.

With the clouds once again looking threatening I decided to call it quits and headed off homewards. I'm hoping that on my next excursion I might get to catch more than just a brief glimpse of the sun but I'd settle for boring old dry!
Wood Pigeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment