Sunday 17 December 2017

Birds 2017 ( foreign trips)

 Roundabout this time of the year I like to do a bit of a review covering my wildlife observations and having already covered both dragonflies and butterflies I thought that I might now review my birding highlights. I thought that I would begin by dealing with those species seen on my four foreign jaunts.
Star of Riga, a Goshawk.

Only one of my trips was a dedicated wildlife watching excursion, the rest were relaxation breaks with my wife although I always managed to see something of interest wherever I ended up. Our first trip of the year was to Riga in January where we enjoyed a few cold but enjoyable days in the city. Undoubted birding star here was a Goshawk that showed very well in one of the city parks providing my best ever views of this magnificent species. Other highlights included nice views of both Long-tailed Duck and Goosander while another city park provided views of Crested Tits and northern Bullfinches.
Some Polish highlights....

The end of April saw me venturing to eastern Poland with Naturetrek on what is likely to be my only ever excursion with this company. It's no reflection on them, they organise a very good trip, it's just that I don't like the living in a bubble type experience that this kind of trip supplies. Birding on this excursion was excellent and I managed two (unphotographed ) lifers, Grey-headed Woodpecker (at last!) and Thrush Nightingale but there were many other highlights. Pick of the raptors were several Lesser Spotted Eagles and more Goshawks, always a treat. Two species of storks and Crane were also noted, several groups of the latter were moving through on migration. Smaller birds were represented by six species of woodpecker, Waxwings returning north, a Hoopoe, Hawfinches, Crested Tits, Savi's Warbler, Penduline Tit and some immaculate Collared Flycatchers. Straying away from the birds for a sec a Wolf, Pine Marten and of course Bison more than held up the mammals end.
...and a few more.

May saw us heading off for a few days to Fuengirola where I seized the opportunity to get out a couple of times. In the mountains above Benalmadena a pair of Black Wheatears were feeding young and I also saw Dartford Warbler and Thekla Lark. The Guadahorce reserve near Malaga did not disappoint and I once again caught up with White-headed Ducks as well as Red Crested Pochards.
Spring Spanish goodies.

In October we returned to this part of Spain and this time around I got a lifer albeit a bit of a plastic one in the shape of Common Waxbill. For some reason a large number had arrived in the area and I was treated to many good views, strange that it took nearly twenty years of regular visits before I caught up with them but better late than never eh? Lots of other good stuff included at least eleven Greater Flamingos at the reserve as well as more White-headed Ducks
Spain Autumnal Birds 

So 2017 turned out to be a decent year with three new species which was my best result abroad in any one year for ages. Next year has got a little to live up to but whatever happens I'm sure it will be pretty entertaining looking for more goodies, I can't wait!
Lifer! Common Waxbill.

No comments:

Post a Comment