Sunday 8 August 2021

Worth The Effort? - Probably

 Today's weather was dominated by a fairly strong south westerly wind bringing in a series of sometimes heavy showers. Although sunshine was a rare commodity during my stroll it did brighten up during the afternoon. In contrast to last week's excitements today was rather more pedestrian and I had to work to see anything of note. My route today took me as far as Deene Lake taking in Deenethorpe and Weldon along the way.

Small Red-eyed Damselfly and Black Swan



I began by checking some of Corby's industrial sites though I did not manage to find much to report. Kirby Lane was a little on the dull side too though I did find a couple of Common Blues sheltering in grass near the Horizon Centre. Deene Park was paying host to a large Audi car club rally but I still found a couple of things of interest. Near the dam a small selection of damselflies included several Small Red-eyeds while the highlight at the inflow was a group of six Green Sandpipers. My arrival at the inflow had coincided with one of the longer and heavier showers and I took shelter under some trees noting a couple of Black Swans and three Little Egrets as I waited.

Faded glory - Meadow Brown and Gatekeeper.



Close by and Deenethorpe village held both Banded Demoiselles and White-legged Damselfly. The nearby airfield was being blasted by the wind though in the shelter provided by neighbouring Weldon Park Wood there was a small number of Migrant Hawkers. Butterflies here included Small Heaths as well as Meadow Brown and Gatekeeper. Walking across the fields along the public footpath produced sightings of Red Admiral and a Holly Blue with the latter only my third of the year.

Holly Blue and Red Admiral.



Bears Lane provided a sighting of  a female Willow Emerald near the pond adjacent to the airstrip which was my first record here. The airstrip itself was home to a Brown Hare while there were individuals of Common Darter and Large Skipper nearby. I ended my nature spotting in Weldon where a few more Banded Demoiselles were on view.

Willow Emerald and Brown Hare



No comments:

Post a Comment